Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Western Salsafy (salsify)

---Synonyms---Purple Goat's Beard. Vegetable Oyster.
(French) Salsifis des prés.


Salsify is called oyster plant due to its faint oyster-like flavor. It is grown for its edible root which is white, long and slender often reaching a length of 10 to 12 inches. The young shoots or leaves are often called "chards" and are field blanched and eaten in salads. Salsify is planted from seed in the early spring and harvested after the first hard freeze in the fall. Adequate moisture and fertility during the growing season is necessary if high quality roots are to be produced.   source

This is a plant that has been popping up all over the place. Its in with the comfrey, its growing with the spearmint, its even growing in the middle of the yard. I liked this plant from the first time I saw it because when it goes to seed it looks like a giant dandelion. No chance of me eating this though - Once I found out it tastes like oysters it was over. Maybe if I was starving...then again I'd probably go for bugs instead.

2 comments:

  1. I don't think it tastes all that much like oysters, even so, it's certainly not my favorite root. I did enjoy the leaves when cooked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, maybe Ive jumped to conclusions too quickly. Its really the texture of oysters that creeps me out anyway. Let me look up some recipes...

    ReplyDelete